Monday, May 26, 2008

A Visitor, A New House, and More Additions to the Family

Michael's mom is coming from IL to visit tomorrow. Whenever she comes, I get a new house! We are putting together our school room and the wall unit in the living room. That means a LOT of boxes are being unpacked, so that is a very good thing! I will try to post photos later when we get closer. I don't expect to be really "company ready" or anything, but it's fun trying!

About those new additions: We are getting two doggies, and are we ever excited!

Here is something I wrote to one friend, then ended up sending to another later (I lack the time to type much anymore, but that's OK):

Michael met a lady at Home Depot the other day who asked if "anyone wants a puppy." Michael was the only one around, so he asked what kind. We planned on getting a dog for Rachael anyway, but hadn't done it yet. The lady gave him a flier and we decided to take a looksee.

http://www.doggiekamp.com/

When we heard that the mom was part doberman and probably part black lab, we weren't sure we'd want a puppy from her. We wanted to go see what the kamp is like and also to ask the owner to watch for the type of dog we did want (border collie). The lady runs a dog boarding facility and also is a rescue place for Great Pyrenees (which I fell in love with today). She has about 50 dogs, total: boarding, rescue up for adoption, and nine of her own dogs! Plus the puppies!

The puppies are very cute. They are mostly black, with some brownish-tan markings on the legs and a bit on the ear tips and eyebrows. Their hair is like an Australian shepherd's. Their faces are shaped like aussies, too. The tails are skinnier like dobermans but their paws are huge and cute. They are very sweet docile dogs, both "beta" males, which is good for being around children and other dogs. She will give us training lessons/classes, too.

Rachael is going to volunteer several hours each week, too! She is very happy about that!

Michael and I keep asking each other, "Are we really going to get dogs?" Most people get dogs instead of children but we are skittish about getting dogs and we have eight children!

I wanted to name my dog (um, I mean the family's dog) Apollo.
I think Zeus is wonderful for Rachael's dog but Rachael says no.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We have since decided against any Greek names. I am wanting Obi Wan for "our" dog (meaning, the family's dog), and we are trying to convince Rachael to name hers Anakin. She says her dog will receive his name when he is home and in her arms.

I think they will be good sized dogs: at least 45 lbs. which is fine with me! I love bigger dogs!

We will put a deposit on the dogs tomorrow and fill out an application for the dogs. The dog lady will come to our house to inspect our backyard and our fence and in about two weeks, we will be dog owners! Yippee! We are so excited!

No comments: